Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Spring 2009 - in the garden

The spring of 2009 is off to a cool start. Its not as wet as last year but just feels like it has taken forever to have nice sunny spring days..maybe that's because April rains were here to bring May flowers, lol.

Last night My hubby rented a small tiller after work from Home Depot. He stopped at the new True Value close to work but they only have two and both were rented out (I think my neighbors have the big one for their new gardening adventures.) A few weeks ago I used the hand tiller to break up the garden and help it start to get ready for spring. We added 3 bags of compost/manure to the garden, and some egg shells...for nutrients. He also tilled the east side of the house where we are going to plant some hostas and other shade loving plants...yay!

We went to the garden center 2 weekends ago and purchased bedding plants. I also purchased seeds.

Looks like I purchased more seeds than we will have room for...I always do that. All seeds are Burppee and purchased at Home Depot.
  • Spinach - Avon Hybrid
  • Radish - Cherry Belle
  • Green Bean - Greencrop
  • Green Bean - Tenderpick
  • Pea - Burpeeana Early
  • Pea - Sugar Daddy
  • Mesculun - Sweet Salad Mix
  • Lettuce - Gourmet Blend
  • Swiss Chard - Burpee's Rhubarb Chard
We also purchased some flower seeds...Have no clue where they are going to go...both are white, humm (My boys helped me pick them out)
  • Marigold - French Vanilla Hybrid
  • Alyssum
From the sale at Prariewoods I purchased some Seed Savers Seeds
  • Cilantro
  • Basil
From Peck's Garden Center
  • Roma Tomato
  • Tomato #2
  • Tomato #3
  • Tomato #4
  • 6 pk kohlrabi
  • 6 pk sweet pepper
  • 1-2 jalapeno pepper
From My Parents...they got it free somewhere
  • 2 cabbage plant...one gave its live to a toddler's experimentation.
Right know the plants are being hardened off on the deck. If it does not rain I may try and put them into the garden tomorrow. First I need to find enough covers for the tender plants...wonder how many milk jugs are still in the garage?

Got a pot of Lilly of the Valley from my Grandma's house this weekend...Can't wait to see them grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment