Thursday, April 22, 2010

Somethings growning

Saturday we went to visit both Culvers and Pecks garden centers looking for Dogwood bushes to put in our front yard...we found them at Pecks.  I was not expecting them to get planted on Sunday, but they did!  Way to go Muscle Man!

Pecks was having their Spring Open House, we took advantage of their specialsand purchased lavendar, stevia and rosemary plants on sale along with a 6 pack of kholrabi - that made it into the garden today!  I've had the kholrabi outside for the last few days hardening it off and decided not was as good of a time as every to plant it. 

I think we are going to like the larger garden.  I also just planted an entire package of peas (Ferry Morse - Melting sugar - Snow Peas) The package says they are the early variety, can tolerate light frost and they don't like heat so I decided to plant them now and see what happens.  I was excited to get 3 rows and still feel like there is room in the garden - this has never happened before, lol. Still need to put in a trellis for the peas, don't think I have any "pea gates" left.  That's what Big Bird called the 3' sections of fence we used a couple of years ago for a trellis.

I also planted an entire package of radishes (Ferry Morse - Radish Easter Egg II Mixture) and Spinach (Ferry Morse/Organic - Bloomsdale, long standing.  I thought I was gong to doubble seed the area with the radishes and spiniach with the beans in a month, but I had enough room to plant the 2 packages and still have space for bean planting mid-May. Radish days to harvest: 28
Spinach days to harvest: 45
Peas days to harvest: 72

Oh, and the onions are up and look great - I'm sure watering them helped.  We haven't had any rain in a couple of weeks so it has been quite dry...not sure  how the grass seed is going to do with this dry weather.

The layout of the 2010 garden
East End Onions - white and yellow
Peppers will go next (n-s)
Peas and Beans (e-w)
Spinach and Radish (n-s)
Three tomatoes will go on the west end with the kholrabi planted under.


Today's funny: I told Little Bird to stay out of the gareden when he plays in the back yard...I put in some sticks and signs with veggie names on them to mark rows and crops...he says "Mom does that say "STAY OUT OF THE GARDEN?" "Um, Yes it does." Cause if that doesn't work I'm going for chicken wire!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment