Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Peas are up

Last weekends rain helpd the peas, radishes and spinach to emerge!  Yay!  I was digging in the garden yestarday and we could use more rain.  The top 3-4" are dry.  Might have to use the hose after today's sunny, warm and windy conditions. 

Sunday I decided I needed a trellis for my peas and beas...well I knew I needed one but didn't know how to build it.

To build the "pea gate" replacement I used stuff we already had - an extra tomato cage, some plastic fencing leftover from another project and zip ties.  I did purchase some twine string.

The bean pole trellis was built from bamboo - not sure I"m done playing  with it.  Wish I could recall the site I saw my inspriation on.  I used 4 bamboo poles and twine string.  I need one more pole across the top and then need to figure out how to plant the bean seeds around it...hopefully that will be done early next week.

I'll try and take pics one of these afternoons when things are quiet.

I did plant herb seeds with the kids help - refilled the 1/2 barrel with 2 bags of dirt and they put in the seeds and then took a piece of plastic fence - think squared off chicken wire - to cover the planter to keep the critters out.  What critters? The 2 legged variety that roam my backyard daily and removed the 2 bags of dirt that were previously located in this barrel.  I still need to attach the fence but figure the herbs will grow up through the holes and that they will actually have a chance at life that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment